Wednesday 8 April 2015

Evaluation: How Effective is the Combination of Your Main Product and Ancillary Texts?

To have an effective brand you need to create synergy across the hole. Doing this makes the audience subconsciously remember each component together as a whole. This synergy between each text can be created in different ways. Such ways include: colour, mise-en-scene, design and layout. I attempted to create these links between my texts so I would have a strong brand.

The colour scheme between my three texts are very similar. I chose to use lots of black across them, along with a lot of very dark colour. The dark colours represent the dark tone of the film. As well as this the thriller genre is associated with these colours therefore it will be easier for the audience to identify that Janus is a thriller film, especially with the cover and poster.


Due to the fact that my protagonist doesn't have a distinct look, I decided to use the same image on the film poster as I used on the magazine cover. Using the same image means that the audience will find each text more recognizable and identifiable once the other has been seen. As well as this the actor also where's these clothes in part of the trailer.


Another link between my texts is the typography. My film poster and my film trailer both use the same font, and font colour, for the film title. Repeating font and font colours brings a better chance of the audience remembering the title and then the film itself. Using the white makes it even more effective as the colour really stands out on each individual text.

All my texts have strong links with Laura Mulvey's Male Gaze theory. She states that "the typical male audience is aligned with the film's protagonist, by identification, admiration, or aspiration. Therefore the audience gains narcissistic pleasure from identifying with the film's protagonist, placing themselves 'in the shoes' of the hero." In my 3 texts I have created an identifiable protagonist by making him look like an 'ordinary' person. He dresses in casual clothing, and doesn't appear superhuman in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment